Long time, no see (as usual.)Just stumbled on some photos from last year's Halloween costume that I never got around to sharing. I think the pumpkinhead portion was pretty successful ...so here's my recipe.
(First, the inspiration. A 1930s photo that was making the rounds a lot last year)
The material used was all crap I had stored in my barn.
Large paper lantern, about 1-2 square yards of 1-inch upholstery foam, and orange tissue paper.
I cut the foam into big petal shaped wedges, shaped the edges a bit,
and then attached them to the lantern using spray mount. The foam pieces didn't fit exactly but were easy enough to manipulate, with some fudging and fussing.
Then I randomly collaged the tissue paper all over the pumpkin. The tissue gets all wrinkled and adds good texture. This part was messy.
You can't see it but I wore a FEZ underneath to hold the head in the right position. After I figured that out, I cut a mouth opening to line up with my eyes, using a large serrated knife.
I also made a little burlap stem for the top, even though it doesn't show. It was perfect for holding the witch hat on; I just used a 10-12 inch long hat pin and drove it through the hat and stem.
As for the rest of the costume, I played around with a few different ideas
but would up doing something that was old-timey, classic, and comfortable.
The final result, in sepia:
P.S. The old fashioned bag was made with a home-made stencil