Tuesday, July 27, 2010

the mad men windows

   Last week, in anticipation of the Mad Men season premier, I hunkered down and put a little extra effort in the shop windows.  (Generally speaking, I dread dressing the windows;  I rarely have any good creative ideas to speak of, and I have to worry about the clothing getting ruined by the sun---so I have to change them often.)

For the 5th Street window I painted a big Don Draper silhouette onto a roll of paper,
                               
 cut it out, ironed it (it got rumply from the paint),  and taped it to the inside of the glass.  (I supposed I could have just painted the silhouette directly on the glass but I was in improvisation mode...)


                              

For the Diamond Street window I made a giant stencil--
Drawn freehand  (woopsie on that right leg--)
                             
Cut out
                            

 spray-painted onto a white sheet,
and hung on a rod.
                              

It was worth the extra effort -- more window compliments are rolling in than ever before (including props on my favorite local blog),
and all I have to do for the next several weeks is rotate some fun mid-60s dresses on the dress forms.   

I'm guessing I won't have to answer one of the many questions I am getting tired of ... "Have you seen that show Mad Men?"




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love this!