Saturday, September 6, 2008

Flippin' Leather and Lace

I'm stealing a moment on this rainy morning to post some pics while I do laundry.
Things have been crrrrraaazy lately -- I still haven't recovered from Labor Day weekend...

On Saturday I went on a house call here:
...a 3 million dollar estate on the Hudson that had a fantasy attic full of old stuff (not to mention a 25 foot ladder to the widows walk tower), including tons of very old clothing, lace,  and sewing notions (yum). The owners had emptied out trunk after trunk of stuff onto the floor to let me pick through.
Too fun. I made a pile, and made an offer.

Back at the store later that day, I let this customer paw through one of the boxes that I hadn't even gone through yet.  
She had her own little quiet treasure hunt going on on the floor, and dug up this stunning lace victorian dress I hadn't seen yet. I gave her a price and she bought it-I think to get married in.

The next day I sold this black lace flapper dress, also from the lot, about 2 hours after hanging it up behind the counter.It has a divine asymmetrical hemline.

On Monday I was exhausted and almost didn't open the shop. Pernille stopped in to say Hi and I asked to her model this new leather motorcycle pullover I'd just gotton on Thursday. Pretty hot, no?:
 She ended up buying it.

We also had a rare celebrity appearance at Five and Diamond... Parker Posey--and three delightful friends
who seemed to have a great time time in the shop playing dress-up. Here's Parker in the 40s rayon dress she bought, zipping up her friend in the 70s maxi.
You can hardly seem them in the pic, but Parker also tried on the tap shoes and showed us her "untapped" tap-dance talents. Shucks I didn't get that picture.
Here they all are with Gracie the dog, sitting on the newly-painted stoop (Thank You Alan!)

All told (not really, this is the super-abridged synopsis), it was Five and Diamond's best weekend ever. Thank You everyone!

1 comment:

us said...

That wedding dress is perfection! The idea of digging around in that attic is the stuff of pure fantasy. I'm so jealous!